Friday, January 25

CHINESE NEW YEAR CHALLENGE

 
Today's Card was a fun challenge for me mainly because I am not familiar with Chinese Culture or Design. The challenge over at Friday Mashup was to do a card for the Chinese New Year and I used an interpretation of the sketch from Just Add Ink. WOW! The girls over at Friday Mashup blew this out of the water and I loved every card and wanted to copy them so much so be sure to take a peek. But I decided to think for myself and even though this is lame compared to theirs it was fun to do.
This year is the Chinese New Year of the snake.So I used the NEW template for the Simply Embossing tool and created a "snake like" design in gold embossing powder. I then took a stamp from the Lacy and Lovely Set and embossed it partially to show the swirling paisley which reminded me of some of the fun decorations used on the Lion Head Dragon in a parade. The bleach technique came in handy for color variation and I used Versa Mark and Ink to do the background flowers. Thanks for taking a peak and enjoy your day!

7 comments:

Lili said...

Such a great card Donna! I am not familiar with Chinese Culture either, and it was a big challenge for me too. Love your interpretation of the challenge. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us at the Friday Mashup this week!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Perfect for the challenge,Donna! very oriental. Hugs xxx

Heidi Baks said...

I love your wavy design and gold elements! I'm so glad you enjoyed this challenge! Thanks for joining the Friday Mashup this week.

Tara (Murphy) Bourgoin said...

What a fabulous idea to create 'snake tracks'! Looks fabulous :) So glad you joined us for this challenge at The Friday Mashup!

Mae Collins said...

Love the vibrant red of this card, a very Oriental feel to it. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink this week.

inkeverywhere said...

Great card for both Challenges I think. I like how you have added the Snake shape at the bottom and I think the flowers at the top are perfect too. Chantell JAI

Christine Blain said...

I love how you've incorporated gold-embossed wavy lines on your card, to represent snakes. You've captured Chinese design nicely on this card, Donna. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink!