Thursday, March 25

Goodnight...don't let the bedbugs bite

I am sitting here tonight earlier than usual thinking of how my day went and going over the many conversations I had with family and friends.
One thought keeps popping into my head making me chuckle, and I know years from now I won't remember it so I wanted to write it here to read again someday.
I usually do not comment about my family but today I am thankful for the treasures I receive from my grandchildren. I have not told too many of you that my grandson Colin who is the spark in my heart, is on the autism spectrum. He is 6 1/2 and has given us a run for our money but always, always, always makes us smile with tears streaming down our faces. He is a true gift from God to us. We have all learned so much from him. This story begins with yesterday.
I took a ride into Boston with my daughter and grandchildren, about 40 minutes away from home for a visit with Colin's neurologist. It was time for him to have an EEG and Colin was not going to have anything to do with it. It was a portable one so he would wear a stocking netting over the buttons, and guaze would keep the wires neatly bundled around the back of his head and into the recorder. He looked like half a halloween mummy with a monkey tail. Anyway, although he sat still for the 45 minutes it took for them to hook him up as soon as he left the examination room and came out to the waiting room he was in a state which found no solice for him. The ride back was occupied with his mom and myself trying to coax and bribe him to be happy until we reached home. He is very sensory and the feel of guaze on his head was more than he could tolerate. However, there were some very funny statements from him that did crack us up. The day finally came to an end....but not without an explanation from Colin.....here is how it went down. Carly (2 years old) said to her other grandmother, "did you see Colin's hat?" ....without a second in between a voice came from the other room in sing song fashion..."ahhhhh it's not a hat Carley, it's surgery!" Oh if we had only known! LOL!
This morning he went back into Boston to have everything removed. As soon as he was free he danced around the room in his usual way rubbing his hands together in pure happiness. All was good in his world, and ours. Goodnight!

10 comments:

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

I loved reading your story, Donna. Thanks for sharing a special moment with us all! I always wish when the kids come out with some "gem" that we took the time to write them down ... so you at least have this recorded on your blog! God gives these special children to those who He trusts completely! I'm sure you and your daughter are doing a great job! Hugs, Andrea xxx

Shelia said...

Yes God chooses only special people to care for his special kids. Those words you will remember when nothing else can not be remembered. I am so glad it is all over for him right now. Kids bounce back a lot faster then the adults that care for them. Thank you for the smile you gave me this morning, by sharing the words of the "spark" in your life.

Debbie Pamment said...

With my 5yo nephew on the severe end of the spectrum I can completely relate to this fun story. My nephew Liam is a character unto himself - yet he's such a sweet and happy soul! My sister's blog is full of amazing moments that I can now share more often. Your grandson and my nephew are indeed very special people - in all the positive ways the word special can mean!
Thanx for sharing your story!
xXx

CORSAI57 said...

Thank you for sharing your story. We have only just begun the journey our beautiful granddaughter was just diagnosis about 6 months ago. It has been very tough to graps but she just brings us all so much joy, smiles and laughter.
It wonder to see how others deal with all.
Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Annette Bowes said...

Hi Donna, thank you for sharing a little of your life, he truly sounds a treasure and quite a character! Have a great weekend, take careX:)

Sharon (Stitches on Mars) said...

Hi Donna,

I just thought I would pop in and say "hello"
My sister Debbie put me onto you...this is such a lovely story. I simply love the pure happiness these children are so capable of.
I too, have learned a lot from my son...he is a treasure to be cherished just like your grandson :)

Hugs, Sharon

Jean McKenzie said...

Donna, this is such a lovely story. He is a special little boy and I am sure he brings lots of pleasure to everyone around him. Thankyou for sharing with us.

Leigh said...

Thank you for sharing Donna. Lovely story and it always amazes me what goes on in a child's mind.

Mary Lou said...

Thanks for sharing Donna~~wow it amazes me that we never know what each moment can bring. Sounds like you and Colin have been blessed by God---what a lucky little guy :))
Blessings and prayers to all

Leonie said...

Kids have a way with them dont they! Especially those with special needs! My nephew has special needs and has the most uncanny way of making the adults around him happy!