Thursday, April 30

TECHNIQUES: Water Color Wash & Pencil Shavings and BELLI CHALLENGE

Hi everyone!
Today I have two cards with two different techniques. Both are simple layouts to showcase the tecnique I used. This first one with the bee, uses leftover pencil shavings from an electric pencil sharpener! I have seen a lot of cards recently that have used Flower Soft as an embellishment. I love it but, being a Stampin' Up Demonstrator we do not carry that product. So, like my frosting conterfeit for liquid applique, I needed to come up with something for Flower Soft too! I took the shavings from my pencil sharpener, added a little ink, let them dry and voila! Now, you can see all the little hairs on this furry little bee! Now you have a FREE and GREEN dimensional embellishment in EVERY SU color you can imagine! They will match perfectly all of the SU inks and papers, and look great! I know the camera is not fabulous but, you can get the idea, and it is certainly easy enough to try for yourself! I used this card for the Belli Challenge too!

On this card I practiced the new water coloring technique that has been floating around (no pun intended) on blogs this week using the Manhattan Roses.
Here I took the honey pot from "Just Buzzin' By" and used it as my vase. Then I embossed the image with clear embossing powder to create water ripples. Next, I sprayed the shimmery white paper with water until it was soaked and added a little Bashful Blue and Baja Breeze ink to it. It looks fab in real life, but because of the subtlety of the water, the glass vase and the shimmery paper it was difficult to get all the elements in one picture to look great. It's just another idea on how to use the water color wash! Enjoy! ~Donna

14 comments:

Jean from jlfstudio said...

Terrific techniques Donna! I love the homemade flowersoft. Way to be true to SU! Not to mention Mother Earth.

I love that Bloomin' Beautiful Bee mixed with the Just Buzzin' by sentiment. The shimmer water trick looks very cool with this use too!

Thanks for sharing - Jean

PS: should I mention that my secret word was scinful as in these are sinfully delicious projects!

Samantha said...

very clever idea! love the bee hes so cute! great cards! :0)

Paula Barin said...

Love the cards. Sometimes simple layouts are best. The "water" effect is realy cool!

Stampin' With Jessi and Rachel said...

Cute cards and I love both techniques! How clever!!

Sylvia said...

Thanks for sharing all your talents! I have left you something on my blog!
Sylvia

tracy said...

the bee is sooo cute with his pencil shavings. What a fantastic idea! You are amazing :)

Shelia said...

I can't believe the effect that the "green" embelly made.

Ceal said...

thanks for the tip on the "Green" flower soft. Thanks for playing in the Belli Challenge

Ellie said...

OH YOU BETTER STOP! GET OUT! Ha.. Hmm gonna have to ask my boys to go sharpen some pencils ASAP! WOW that i amazing! WOW...:) Love it!!!

Deb Rymer said...

Really loved reading about your pencil shavings idea - so resourceful! Also really loved the way you did the ribbon and flower on this card!

Shannon said...

I LOVE this watercolor technique and how clever are you to use the honeypot as a vase? Sheer genius! Can we live closer together please? At least CO is closer than CA, but still might be a tad far for workshops. Darn.

Danita said...

Donna, both of these cards are beautiful!!! Very cool with the pencil shavings too!!! Thanks for playing in the Creative Belli challenge!!!

Danita

Chrissy D said...

WOW! This card is simply amazing - I love the clean lines and detail you have! Thanks for playing in the Belli Challenge!

Holly said...

What a super cool card! Love your pencil shavings aka Flower Soft tip - I gotta try that! Thanks for playing in the Belli Challenge!