Wednesday, April 29

If I could Save Time In A Bottle........April Morning

Goodmorning everyone!
I don't have a card for you this morning but, I do have a story that I'd like to share instead. I was asked by Jeanna at Stamp Time Somewhere to be in her card swap for April. I gladly accepted and signed up to make cards for two stamp sets, to be delivered to her by April 15th. This past weekend April 25th I received a package with the surprise swaps inside. It was just like Christmas! The ladies in this swap are awesome, and really put out some extraordinary work. You guys should take a peek and sign up for the May Swap! Moving on......
After I opened all my cards I wrote to each lady to thank them. Then one of those AWESOME God moments happened! Do you ever get them? You know the kind where it just is uncanny that the puzzle pieces should come together and finally make a picture, to your complete amazement none the less! Well, that is what happened to me and Lorraine-Castellon Rowe!

Here is how it happened.....

When I wrote to each lady, I checked out her blog if she had one, and glanced at where she came from. Lorraine's address caught my attention immediately, and threw me back to when I was 12. Um yes it was in the 60's LOL!!! Lorraine was sending in her swaps from Fremont California. Now, being on the East Coast most people do not know where that is, but it was my first big trip destination away from home. It was clear across the USA on TWA, and it lasted for two weeks with an elderly grandmother who could not speak English very well. Can you imagine, poor little 'ole me across the world, or so it seemed from my mom and dad and 4 other siblings, with a grandmother who only spoke Portuguese. YIKES! Trauma!
Anyway, we went to Fremont California to see some other elderly friends of my grandmother, whom did not speak English either. Lucky for me there were grandchildren involved and they were my age! So, after two weeks we became fast friends, as 12 year old's do. I think it was pure survival for me! ADAPT! My surroundings consisted of strange accents where they said HORSE instead of HOSS, and made fun of the way I talked...you know that great Boston accent will catch you every time! There were mountains, REAL mountains, and endless meadows filled with wild horses and yes a stinky, smelly pickle factory! Man they are awful! I can still conjure up that stink some 40+ years later. Okay, Okay so.....

This is where my story winds up. I wrote to Lorraine, and told her I had stayed on Osgood Rd in Fremont CA when I was a little girl, and asked if she knew where it was. She wrote me a wonderful letter telling me yes, she knew exactly where Osgood Rd was. Then she proceeded to tell me how she had never known about the pickle factory until APRIL 22, 2009. That day she drove past the area where it once thrived, with a friend. He told her how his grandfather used to work there. It is just a broken wall of bricks and broken windows now she said...... just old and worn out. She got goosebumps when my note arrived a day or so later in her mailbox, asking her about the pickle factory on Osgood Road! I relished the rest of her letter and felt like I should journal my thoughts even if you guys are bored LOL! It hit both of us that we were spiritually in the same place that week, in this big world...... and we had never met! I don't have a personal blog, just this one so you are my captive audience. Isn't it amazing to finally know when two paths have crossed miles away! God is very humerous! It is funny how life takes some wonderful turns. How could I have ever known all those years ago that I would be back on Osgood Rd through the story of a Stampin' Up demonstrator today! What a fabulous experience I have had to be part of the Stampin' Up Demonstrator community. I have met the most energetic, fun loving, creative bunch of souls from all corners of this earth, and am so grateful for each and everyone of you who come to visit me here on my blog. Lorraine, thank you for that note! It was special enough to want to make me write today.
As for you my blog friends, I wish for a surprise gift of a finished circle in life for each and everyone of you! Thank you for stopping in. Enjoy THIS day! ~ Donna

8 comments:

Jeanna Bohanon said...

WOW! I got goosebumps. Do you have any idea how happy this story makes me? Just goes to prove everything for a reason!

Anonymous said...

God is good - all the time! I bet the pickles in the factory were sweet ones, as is your story! Thanks for sharing.
jmgeisler

"Tillymint" said...

What an Amazing story - I had goose bumps reading it. TFS. Sue x

Shannon said...

What a great story Donna, thanks for sharing. I am having a particularly difficult day emotionally and your story reminded me that God has a plan and knows every, little detail and is working even when we can't see His work immediately. I really needed this story at this moment. Hugs...Shannon

Jean from jlfstudio said...

Thanks for sharing this special story. I'm planning to pass this link along to many, many friends and family who never believe me when this kind of thing happens to me on a fairly regular basis.

Nice to know someone else has these kind of events in their life as well. As everyone has said real goosebump moments. But then I find that God must have invented Goosebumps since he seems to generate them so often, in so many wonderful ways :D

He also seems to us our SU connections in interesting ways as well. I've only been a demo for less than 2 years but I've already found similar ties to times and places with many of my cyber demo friends. Makes one think!

Hugs and blessings and enjoy the connections and the memories - Jean

Anonymous said...

Great story, Donna. I live in Union City, right next door to Fremont, CA and I surely never heard about the pickle factory before!

In Union City, there are a couple of commercial bakeries near the high school and the smell of chocolate baking used to drive me crazy when I waited in the car to give my son a ride home each day. Of course, it was a blessing in disguise because if it was a retail bakery, I'd be pretty fat by now! Haha...

paperpotter said...

I love this story, too, and since I have moved 31 times in my 50-something years I always wonder when I'm going to run into someone who knew someone ...... It's already happened twice to me, and I know that God has us all linked with His wonderful plan!

nancyruth said...

OH Donna that is such a beautiful story! Thanks so much for making my Sunday a.m. extra meanin gful.